Part-time shoulder use converts paved roadside shoulders to an area used for travel during portions of the day as a congestion relief strategy. It is sometimes known as temporary shoulder use or hard shoulder running, and is typically implemented on freeways.
This jointly-sponsored webinar between NOCoE and the AASHTO Subcommittee on TSMO (STSMO) will review the recently-published FHWA Guide on "Use of Freeway Shoulders for Travel", and will detail the experiences of the Colorado and Virginia DOTs on implementing this feature.
- Brad Freeze, TNDOT (Welcome)
- Jim Hunt, FHWA
- Pete Jenior, Kittelson
- Dean Gustafson, VDOT
- Ryan Rice, CDOT
- Ashley Ciacco, NOCoE (Facilitator)
Operations Area of Practice
- Active Traffic Management (ATM)
- Planning for Operations
Organizational Capability Element
- Project Development
- Active Traffic Management/Travel Demand Management/Pricing
- Traveler Information
- Education, Training & Professional Activities