North Carolina’s I-26 widening project stretched approximately 17 miles with a scope that included the demolition of five bridges. Traffic management for this work was initially planned as median crossovers with barrel separation between lanes of opposing traffic. The time required for each bridge demolition also was expected to last for approximately two weeks per structure. As an alternative solution, NCDOT decided to leverage Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) in coordination with full road closures to provide a safer environment for the public and the contractor. The ICM strategy allowed for a full nighttime closure, rerouting traffic to the parallel arterials, and reducing the time needed for demo. Instead of ten weeks of closures on I-26, each bridge could be demolished in 3-4 nights significantly reducing the total time required for full closures. After this strategy effectively demonstrated safety, schedule, and construction cost benefits, the contractor modified the traffic management plans to include ICM for additional construction activity, saving close to $700,000. Dispersion of the impacted traffic onto the alternate route reduced the risks associated with the interaction of construction workers and live traffic while also reducing the likelihood of primary and secondary crashes within a queue on the Interstate. Bridge demolition and corresponding ICM activations began in March 2021. The agencies’ experience with ICM has been so positive that it is deployed frequently during construction activities beyond the expected bridge demolition, resulting in an estimated cost savings of $2,000,000 by completing construction activities safer and more efficiently.
In this case study you will learn:
- How NCDOT used Integrated Corridor Management on a construction project that involved multiple major bridge demolitions.
- How the ICM used:
• existing field devices such as CCTV cameras and Dynamic Message Signs;
• additional ITS devices on both interstate and parallel routes; and
• the installation of dynamic trailblazer signs as a low-cost solution for arterial routing.
- How ICM has resulted in construction savings and improved safety during the I-26 construction.